Saturday, May 10, 2014

"Mouthful of Cavities" (Blind Melon)

This Blind Melon tune has been one of my favorites for years and years and years. Something about the timbre of it is just right for that ... poignantly melancholy state of mind. "Mouthful" is also fun to play. I enjoy its little walk-downs and especially the rhythm of the slide from C to D.

The problem is the late Shannon Hoon has a much higher voice than I do, and no matter what--nearly every one of Blind Melon's songs is just out of my singing register. Go up a little, down a little--hard to get my voice to sound right with their music, which is a bummer because their tunage is rather outstanding, I think. I love playing and listening but the song's just aren't easy for me to sing.

As for this recording, it sounds like my low E is a little high. I didn't notice it at the time. Alas. It's all for fun anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment