Friday, November 11, 2011

Two Poems for Veterans Day

For my friends Tom and John, vets of the Vietnam War and Korean War respectively.

 

Homecoming


-originally published in Red River Review



 

I walk in the closed cavity


of myself, glancing up


the alley behind Jigs’, the one tavern,


the True Value store, the feed lot,


the grunts amid the heaps,


the flies.



Nothing’s changed.  Maggots


flies flies maggots, angels


descend upon the living and the dead.


What I’ve found here, what calls me here


is a winged, terrible thing, its red mouth


sucking me in secret. With a lift of my foot




I am gone, deep in the war


as if in prayer.



 

Those Nights In L.A.


-originally published in Triplopia



 

Nothing but laughter those nights


after we closed the studio


and some of us took the Ten to Ocean Avenue


for a stroll along the beach. Others


drove home to wives, families, the six o’clock news


setting the war down in their living rooms


like a guest who would overstay his visit.



But in the Blue Room, we’d laugh and laugh,


nothing could hurt us. Shots


ran through us like water on hottest days,


and our big mouths roared over small jokes


at the other poor bastards in the world, the fucked up


moments of their lives a cacophony of booze,


Angels’ games, Hendrix, white noise


we romped around on like teenaged children


who’d eaten their virgin to her core, juice


spilling over our lips, and the world crumbling into an emptiness


that grew as silence grows, quietly, tenderly,


to take our breath away. Those nights



I heard boys in other rooms of our house.


I saw their bodies straighten like reeds along a river


then flatten beside us in the paddy.


An awful wind passed.


I was there when Gale Sweet drug his rag across the empty stools


and unplugged the box, but still


the sound of a thunder, ten thousand whispering


and the walls alive, and the television


flashing through the dark like light through the limbs of trees


though I wouldn’t move, wouldn’t make a sound. When sweat dropped


to my thigh with a soft puussssh, I leaned closer. Behind the door,


irregularly, my wife breathed. I closed my eyes.



One inch, then another, breath for breath, I slid away


as though gliding under water, the moon above me, the stars.


In the halogen glow of my garage, jug in hand, I heard her


nice and steady,


then poured life through me like a river.

No comments:

Post a Comment